What is Skype?
Skype is software that has enabled the world converse. Millions of individuals and businesses use Skype to make free video and voice calls, send instant messages and share files with other Skype users. Classrooms would be able to be interactive with other classrooms. Through the use of skype classrooms would be able to take virtual tours in just about any country in the world.
Virtual field trips would allow students to explore such locations as the beach or famous landmarks that, they otherwise read about in books. E-learning provides opportunities that interest and engage the students in a diverse range of topics and encourage learning. McInerney & McInerney (2006, p. 10) state "before any learning can take place, the attention and interest of the learner must be gained." Neale (2001, p. 15) also suggests “e-learning, when done well, can be as good or better, than being in the classroom. It offers students a rich, compelling, and motivating experience."
Reference:
McInerney, D. M., & McInerney, V. (2006).Education psychology;Constructing learning (4th Ed.). Australia: Pearson Education.
Neal, L. (2001). “Learning from e-learning”. eLearn, Vol 2001, Issue 10, p 15. Retrieved, April 06, 2010, from
http://eprints.qut.edu.au/archive/00007508/
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Kris, I thought that this post was very well written and rellevant to todays classrooms. I was just looking at a site where a teacher had his students contact other students from around the world and then document certain info that they learnt about other countries, it was great!
ReplyDeleteMichael Rhodes
Thanks Michael,I am continually amused at what is available,I feel like Grandma in the fact that I didn't even relise that half of this stuff even existed.
ReplyDeleteHi Kris,
ReplyDeleteLove your post! Yep, I am a total fan of Skype. I use it regularly when talking to my partner when he is working away in Indonesia. I had not really thought about skype as a educational communication resource but after reading your post - I can see how skype can be used in the classroom. Thanks.
Kind Regards
Emma
Hi Emma
ReplyDeleteThanks I agree. This course has changes the way I look at the small number of ICTs that I use. During my LP I have had many discussions with teachers about their useage within the classroom and not suprisingly they have noticed that students are more engaged, behavioural issues in some children are dramatically reduced,student centred learning has been a demand of the students. Some teachers began using ICT as a hook to settle the class,however these teachers recognised the thirst the students had for this virtual toolkit and have now slowly incorporated ICTs into thier learning environments.
As will I as my knowledge grows
Cheers Kris